Once you turn 18, it feels like you’re supposed to have your whole life plan figured out. But we all know how that goes. Cue Collective—young adult content for people who don’t have it all together yet. We’re going on a five-week adventure to ask life’s big questions. You know, the big, “what’s-the-meaning-of-life” kinds of questions that keep you up at night, wondering if anyone else feels the same way.
We’re asking questions like: How do you know if your life is moving in the right direction? What are you supposed to do with your life? What makes up your identity? We also get real about dating and boundaries and friendships and all the other adulting struggles that no one really knows the answers to.
Ultimately, we’re discovering that the point of life isn’t to figure it all out but to find the right people and to follow Jesus every step of the way. So, what does all this mean for you and your LifeGroup? We got you. Here are all the things you need to know:
- If you can, go to your campus’s Collective Night. It’s an event for young adults, 18-29, to hang out, find friends, and have a safe place to process their big life questions. Don’t just go. Ask your campus if you can be a part of it by helping them plan it or serving at it. Invite everyone you know. Bring your friends, and get ready for a great time.
- If you can’t go to the event, watch it with your group here. Not every Life.Church will host a Collective Night. If your campus doesn’t have one, host your own! Invite your LifeGroup, and any young adults you know, to watch the content together.
- Watch the videos together. Pause to discuss the questions, then pray together. Being a LifeGroup leader doesn’t mean you have to have all the answers. It just means you can ask great questions (which we’ve actually provided for you), host people, and be a smiling face for your friends. So we made this pretty easy. Each week, watch the Collective episode (they’re in order on the website). At the end of the video, pause it and discuss the three questions on the screen. Take time to discuss these questions, then spend time praying together.
- Download these leader tips and send shareable Instagram quotes to your group throughout the week. Every week, we’re answering a big question that might lend itself to a good group activity or next step. Download these tips for ways to level up your Collective group. We have something extra for you, too. Every week, we also have a couple of Instagram Story sized images with a quote from that Collective episode. Share them with your group throughout the week! It’s a great way to keep the conversation going, make good use of your phone wallpaper, and start more truth-based conversations on social media.
- You’re all friends, so do the Collective Bible Plan together. YouVersion’s Plans with Friends feature is a game-changer for LifeGroups. Take advantage of it! Start the 7-day Collective Plan with your group. Every day, you’ll get the opportunity to share what you’re learning and set up the conversations you’ll have in LifeGroup. Let’s be honest, it’s sometimes easier to start a conversation online than IRL, so leverage it as a launch pad for conversations when you meet in person.
- Get vulnerable. Listen. This content is only as strong as you—the LifeGroup leader—are honest. We ask a lot of big questions. But to set up really good conversations, you have to be willing to give your honest, unfiltered answers. Sometimes that means saying “I don’t know.” Or “I’ve learned …” even if you’re not super comfortable with everyone knowing that just yet. You’ll go much deeper, faster, if you’re willing to take the lead, bounce off the Collective momentum, and dive into the heavy topics headfirst.
- Have fun! We talk about a lot of big questions. That can get overwhelming to think about! A huge goal of Collective is to help young adults know they’re not alone. The moments we feel most alone are those moments we’re scrolling on Instagram and seeing highlights of all our friends hanging out without us while we’re home alone eating Cheetos and bingeing The Office for the fifth time. (We’ve all been there.) So let’s get serious about becoming a real Collective community. Don’t just meet up to talk content. Talk about real life while you’re living life. Go out to dinner together. Go thrifting. Go to the park. Go see a movie, go to the bowling alley, check out a skating rink, host your own movie night, try to make dinner together—you get the idea. Do something together to grow closer as a LifeGroup.
- Use your Collective influence. Make a mission for your LifeGroup. Go serve somewhere together! Nothing is more fun than serving God with the people you love, so get out there and do it! Maybe it’s serving at a LifeKids experience together. Maybe it’s getting connected to a local missions partner. Whatever it is, use your Collective influence to make a difference in your community.
- Bring more people in. We called it Collective for a reason. Invite people in and don’t be afraid to expand your group. There are young adults out there struggling with so many life responsibilities on their own. Together, we can help each other figure out this whole adulting thing.
- Keep up the good work! So, what do you do when you finish the five weeks of Collective? Cry. Jk, jk. You can definitely still keep meeting! Check out content like this adulting post, this whole young adults collection, and more great finds at finds.life.church. You can send articles to your group and talk it over throughout the week or even at group. Check out this series from Pastor Craig Groeschel about figuring out your life purpose.
So there you have it. That’s all you need to know about Collective. But above all, be praying for who God might have you invite to be a part of your group. Be praying that God would reveal Himself to you and your group in a fresh way. We really can make a Collective difference together. So rally your Collective and get excited for this brand-new young adult content.
Get all the things you need here.