No matter your role in Konnect, it’s important to be prepared. Preparation leaves your mind free to focus on connecting with kids during the experience instead of trying to figure out what’s going on! Find out how to prepare spiritually and practically for the experience.
When you model what becoming a fully devoted follower of Christ looks like in your own life, it overflows into the personal relationships you have with the kids in your small group.
- Pray. Connect with God personally through prayer. Add in prayers for the kids in your small group. They need it because they need God’s power and direction as they wrestle with life’s daily struggles and questions. You need it because it keeps your kids in your heart and on your mind, building empathy and compassion for them.
- Read. Connect with God through the Bible. Let it refresh and renew your spirit, and search it for wisdom for the kids in your group when you’re reminded of what they’re going through.
- Worship. Be intentional about thanking God for who He is, what He has done for you, what He has done for others, and bringing glory to His name in all that you do.
- Listen. Allow yourself to be quiet to listen to God. Open your heart and allow Him to fill you with what you need.
- Attend. Don’t just show up at church to lead kids in Konnect. Show up to be fed by a community of Christ followers who worship, learn, and serve together.
- Connect. All the benefits you’ve heard about leading small don’t just apply to kids—they go for you, too. Attend a LifeGroup regularly so you have a place where you fit in, where you are known, and where you are supported.
- Invite. See all the empty seats in the auditorium each week? Cultivate compassion for the people who should be in them, be intentional about finding them, and invite them to come to church and discover Christ and His community.
The LifeKids leader site at www.leaders.life.church (Great job! You’re already here!) is always updated and available for you to prepare for your weekly experience. Find these resources there.
- Worship motions
- Everyone: The Konnect Theme Song gets kids excited about the hour, so make sure you’re brushed up on its motions if you’re new to the game! Check out the motions to each worship song, too, so you can set a good example of participation for your small group.
- If you lead worship: The motions for each weekly worship set are always ready for you on the website. If there is a song you need to brush up on or don’t know yet, make sure you know it so you can lead with consistency and excellence.
- Emcee/Tech Guide
- Everyone: Use the order of experience on this guide to stay oriented during the service.
- Emcees: Use the talking points and scripts to better lead through your 30-second transitions.
- Techs: Your lighting cues are all here!
- Small Group Leader Guide
- Emcees and Coaches: Use this so you better know how to support your small group leaders during the Welcome Question, Small Group Activity, and Small Group Discussion.
- Small Group Leaders
- Read over the activity so you know how to lead it and can anticipate how to get your small group excited about it.
- Make note of anything that looks tricky so you can ask your LifeKids staff or a coach for tips to pull it off well.
- Preview the discussion questions and think about which ones are best for your group so you can start with those.
- Think through any ways you might need to rephrase the question to make it the most effective for your group.
- Inspirational Stories: There are so many life-change stories from Konnect! These stories will encourage you that God is using your consistency and service to make a big difference in the everyday lives of the kids and families you interact with.
- Leader Tips: Each month, there is a highlighted, general tip to help you lead well, and, when necessary, there are “Heads Up” tips to let you know how kids may need your support after a tough teaching episode, to help you know how to lead kids through big events in their everyday lives (like back to school or holidays), and sometimes you’ll find instructional videos or help with a small group activity so you can pull it off without a hitch!
Talk It Over:
Now that you’ve watched a video and read a few tips, help the info stick! Talk over these questions with your experience coach or a LifeKids staff member. Share what you’ve learned with other leaders in Konnect!
- Which part of spiritual preparation is the easiest for you to be consistent with? Which is more difficult? Ask another leader or LifeKids staff member to hold you accountable.
- Which part of practical preparation for Konnect do you think is the most important?
- What do you think is the most helpful part of the LifeKids leader site?
A special thank you to Orange and the reThink Group for their ideas and research on their “lead small” philosophy referenced in this article.