Conflict is an inevitable part of life and LifeGroups. It’s not easy, but it’s a sign your group is full of live human beings. An important part of your growth as a leader will be learning how to healthily address conflict and proactively prevent unnecessary conflict. Here are seven conflict quick tips.
- Address issues quickly. If you have an issue with someone, go quickly and talk to them rather than allowing the issue to grow.
- Use “I feel” statements. When talking about what you’re experiencing, talk about yourself. Say, “I feel frustrated when…” instead of saying, “You make me mad.”
- Listen to what’s not being said. Tone and body language are huge indicators to pay attention to. Also, what words aren’t being said? Listening well is a big deal.
- Communicate in person. Avoid email or text messaging through difficult conversations.
- Lead with grace, then truth. Follow the Matthew 18 model for conflict resolution.
- Get advice. You may need to follow up with your Community Leader for wisdom.
- Be introspective. Is it possible that you’ve somehow caused the conflict?