By: Jenn Jewell
Spoiler alert: The holidays are coming!
Some of you just squealed with delight, while others are searching for the closest dark hole to sink into right about now. But don’t worry—we’ve got you covered.
Do you know what makes the holidays more than bearable? Fantastic even? (Other than Jesus coming into the world and initiating the greatest rescue mission this planet has ever known?)
Your LifeGroup. Seriously.
Your LifeGroup isn’t one more thing on your already exhausted to-do list. It’s the secret ingredient for making the coming season better, richer, and a whole lot sweeter.
Your LifeGroup isn’t one more thing on your already exhausted to-do list. It’s the secret ingredient for making the coming season better, richer, and a whole lot sweeter. In many ways, it’s the Holiday Support Group we all need.
So, how can we keep our LifeGroups humming through the holidays? Here are 12 ideas because, you know, 12 days of Christmas and all. But no worries. We’ve got plenty of Thanksgiving ideas for you as well!
- Roast chestnuts on an open fire. Or maybe s’mores around a fire pit? Either way, you can chat about the weekend’s message with a cozy, fall atmosphere.
- Volunteer with one of Life.Church’s many local mission partners. Local partners are a great way to engage with your people, your community, and the meaning of Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Plan a Friendsgiving feast on the night you already meet. Laugh together. Take communion together. Share thankfulness. Enjoy each other’s company!
- Spend time being grateful together. Go around and say one thing you’re thankful for over the last year. Maybe you want to get all in the holiday feels and say one thing you’re thankful for about your LifeGroup, or even each person in your LifeGroup.
- Help a foster family out with gift-buying, a turkey, and/or necessities. Don’t know who needs support? The pastors at your campus can point you in the right direction.
- Invite your neighbors with some invites and holiday goodies! Plan a time to bake together at LifeGroup. Then send over your warm goodies to your neighbors with some Life.Church invites.
- Have a gingerbread house-decorating contest. Listen, this is fun for just adults, but great it’s also a great way to include entire families. Make it a tradition with a trophy!
- Make traditions. Drink hot chocolate! Or play board games! Or ice sugar cookies! It really doesn’t matter what you choose to do. It’s more about sharing traditions with your friends. Most of all, do it together.
- Schedule your LifeGroup Christmas party on the night you already meet. With school programs, shopping lists to cross off, family visits, and office parties abounding, it’s probably going to make everyone’s calendar happier not to find (yet another) free time slot for a LifeGroup event.
- Have a regular, non-fancy, no-fuss LifeGroup night. Sometimes—in the midst of the chaos—we all crave a little normalcy. If your group is feeling stressed and overextended, a chill night together where all “holiday extras” are banned may the best idea yet.
- Serve (or attend) one of the many incredible Life.Church Christmas services together as a group. Nevermind the last sentence on point 10. Actually, this idea is probably the best yet.
- Turn New Year’s resolutions into God-centered visions for next year. Share your dreams and goals with one another, hold each other accountable, and pour out encouragement along the way.
Whatever you do—be creative, stay flexible, and let grace be your guide. Let the holiday season be full of memories your LifeGroup will create together. Let it truly be a season of remembering the beauty of Immanuel, God with us, together. Let your LifeGroup be a warm and bright gathering in a cold and dark season. Something we all need a little more of.